Monday, March 14, 2011

...Gilbert Gottfried

Aflac has fired the voice of their famous duck, the mascot of the company. The voice in question would be Gilbert Gottfried, for those few who did not already know that. The reason why Aflac fired him was because of some jokes he Tweeted after the earthquake in Japan that they deemed "tasteless". Aflac just happens to do 75% of their business in Japan (1 in 4 homes insured in Japan is insured with Aflac) and they fear that his comments could possibly damage their reputation and of course hurt business. Chief Marketing Officer Michael Zuna said, "There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times." Aflac said they will be looking for a new voice to replace Gottfried. It should be noted that in Japan Gottfried is not the voice of the duck, a softer more people friendly voice is used. I am wondering what is going to happen now? What voice will replace his? I cannot think of a voice as brunt or crude as his at this very moment in time, maybe you know some. Part of me wants to be upset with Aflac for firing him, and I will be, but what Gottfried did was just blah. Wait a week and then say the jokes or do not say them at all. I am not so sure how well off he is, I know he is not broke but I am not sure how far from it he is. Anyway I am going to give Gilbert a Digit Down for messing up his steady flow of income and in this economy...

No comments:

Post a Comment