Monday, March 21, 2011

...Kelly Gneiting

I have been self-loathing lately because I gained about 6 pounds but this story is changing that for me. Kelly Gneiting is a 3 time U.S. Sumo wrestler and he did something that I could not even do if I wanted to, he completed the Los Angeles marathon. Why is this amazing? Well if the word "Sumo" did not give it away, he is a large man, a 400 pound man to be exact. He jogged the first eight miles of the race and walked the last 18, often stopping at intersections and stoplights because he was well behind the 13-minute-per-mile pace set by race organizers. He says he became delirious after mile 10 and only realized he hit the 15-mile mark when a friend gave him a clean pair of socks, I wonder if socks is code for underwear because I have seen the stories about people having bowel movements in sports... He finished the marathon in 9 hours 48 minutes and 23 seconds setting a Guinness World Record (they just hand these things out like food stamps)for the heaviest person ever to complete a marathon. I find this a tad inspirational. I am not going to run a marathon, but I will be hitting the gym harder, and dieting harder as well. Kelly plans on doing more things to she that he is fit in the future, near future. I am giving Kelly Gneiting a Digit Up for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment