Wednesday, March 16, 2011

...Sean Parker

Ironic. That is all I can say about what Sean Parker is trying to do. The face behind Napster, the Internet music downloading site that started the downfall of the music industry, and more recently the man who helped launch Facebook into the mainstream is bidding to buy the Warner Music Group. Though he has not been named yet, he is aligned with one of the bidding groups, so basically he is in. I ma sure he is not "named' due to his high profile and past history with the music industry... Basically they hate him. He just become a listed billionaire with a net worth of $1.6 billion, and with the music industry dying off, pretty much thanks to him, some are wondering why he wants to buy this labe. Some think that since he has been working as both an adviser and investor for Spotify, a streaming music service, like the Rhapsody. Although Spotify is very popular in Europe, with a million paying subscribers and 7 million users, music labels like Warner have kept the streaming service out of the U.S. market. Parker could have joined the investing consortium in order to help Spotify license Warner's content. When I 1st heard of what he was doing I thought it was interesting, then I thought that this was cool because it totally reminds me of a classic corporate takeover. Though I doubt that was his thought when he came up with Napster over a decade ago, it would be awesome if it was. I am giving Sean Parker 2 Digits Up for possibly being the smartest guy in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment