Tuesday, December 7, 2010

...Martha Stewart

If you know me then you know I love Martha Stewart! I subscribe to her magazine, I eat her food, I sleep in her sheets and the list goes on. But there seems to be a little problem at the Stewart empire...her show. Ever since Martha switched from regular television to the cable network Hallmark Channel her ratings have all but gone underground. She is receiving less than 200,000 viewers for her show everyday. Last year the Golden Girls received a little over twice as many viewers in that same time slot, and they are reruns! People really do love those girls... Along with her show failing her daughter's show and her friend's show, all produced by Martha's company, are sailing, worse than horrible ratings they have! Let us add more fuel to the fire. Along with these shows failing, her company's stock value has fallen by 80% from 4 years ago. She still received compensation of $9.7 million in 2009, and more than $18 million in the past three years. Stewart controls about 28.4 million shares of the company's stock (about 50 percent), worth well over $100 million at today's prices. An entity she controls also gets a $2 million annual fee "for the perpetual, exclusive right to use Ms. Stewart's lifestyle intangible asset in connection with Company products and services and to access various real properties owned by Ms. Stewart." Some think that is this era of change, Madonna to Lady Gaga, black President, Oprah and Larry King leaving their shows, that maybe Martha is next. At 69 years old she has yet to slow down, but if she were to leave her show she would not be losing as much money as she is now, if at all. She bounced back from the whole prison thing and it was awesome, her stock value went up and she was all over the place, and people liked her. I enjoy watching Martha, when I can. There is something about seeing the perfectionist as work that makes me feel at ease, I am not strange. I do hope that something works and her shows get back on track. One great big helpful move might be to LEAVE THE HALLMARK CHANNEL!!!! No one watches it. For now though I am giving this news a Digit Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment