Thursday, October 28, 2010

...Marie Claire writer Maura Kelly

This chick is getting beat up by the media and large Americans for her point of view. What is her point of view? Fat people are gross. She wrote an article in Marie Claire, "Should Fatties Get A Room?", about the new show "Mike & Molly", a show about a heavy-set couple who met at their Overeaters Anonymous group. she posed this question: "Think people feel uncomfortable when they see overweight people making out on television?" Her answer was YES. She wrote, “I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room.” Of course people got really pissed. Marie Claire received 28,000 emails about the article, and of course they wanted her to be fired. Now what most people did not know is that Kelly was anorexic, not anymore. She feels very strongly about this issue, weight and health, and so I can see why she was probably pissed. Are we getting too comfortable with obese people on television? There are roughly 93 million overweight Americans, but we should not help the cause so much, we do not want more obese people. But back to Kelly. Maura Kelly later apologizes for her comments. Now for me that was horrible. I think you should own up to whatever you said. She should have stuck to her guns and taken the bullet. Now how can I take anything she says seriously? If you give under pressure then you never really believed in what you wrote Maura. I understand that in this economy job security is important and I guess she did not want to lose her job but if that were the case she should have written a nice little fluff piece. I am giving Maura Kelly a Digit Down for apologizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment