Friday, July 1, 2011

...The Jiaozhou Bay Bridge

Earlier this week I wrote about China pretty much building a bridge in California at a cost of $7.2 billion. Yesterday I saw a new bridge opening in China, The Jiaozhou Bay bridge. It is 26 miles long and is designed to withstand an earthquake or typhoon. The part that made me re-read it was the cost. China says it only cost $1.5 billion to build this bridge. Are you serious!?! France said it cost $2.7 billion, still cheaper than our bridge. Great Britain said it cost more like $8.8 billion, which though more than our bridge, is still a hell of a deal. Why is the San Francisco/Oakland bridge $7.2 billion, and that is considered a "deal", and theirs is much longer and cost less per mile? I hope that I find out later that this bridge cost $30 billion and is unsafe. Until then I am going to give China a Digit Up for their ingenuity, the same ingenuity that will overtake the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment