Tuesday, April 19, 2011

...Galia Slayen

Who is Galia Slayen? She is a woman who made an art project featuring one of the most iconic American figures to date. Yes, you guessed it, Barbie. Galia Slayen created a version of Barbie that she believes is what Barbie would look like if she were a real person. This Barbie stands about 6 feet tall with a 39" bust, 18" waist and 33" hips. She is made of wood, chicken wire and papier mache, and is dressed in a size 00 skirt. Galia Slayen had a bout with anorexia so she built this 4 years ago as part of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. In her own words she said, “I’m not blaming Barbie [for my illness] — she’s one small factor, an environmental factor. I’m blond and blue-eyed and I figured that was what I was supposed to look like. She was my idol. It impacted the way I looked at myself." She also added, “Talking about eating disorders is taboo to many people, and this made people talk about it. It’s a shocking image. A lot of people have seen it, and it’s started debates. Her proportions are not 100 percent correct, but her look is not invalid.” In response a Mattel spokesperson said, “As a pop-cultural icon, Barbie is often used as art to express one’s own personal opinions and views. Girls see female body images everywhere today and it’s critical that parents and caregivers provide perspective on what they are seeing. It’s important to remember that Barbie is a doll who stands 11.5 inches tall and weighs 7.25 ounces — she was never modeled on the proportions of a real person.” I get what she is trying to do and it is cool, but why does she have to join the club and bring Barbie into it? If you are modeling your life after anyone, real or fake, then I am not going to feel sorry for you if you develop an eating disorder, why should I? Barbie is not real! We know this, she knows this, but yet many people feel as if this doll has caused so many problems for young women. Do you see boys constantly comparing themselves to G.I. Joes? NO!!!! If you dare say that it is different for a boy than a girl then you are part of that problem. Galia Slayen is trying to make a name for herself, as we all are in some way, but I do not like how she is doing it. To be honest some girls need to lose weight because they are chubby, that is why they are single and eating ice cream and cake at night fantasizing about a boyfriend. In return some guys are fat as ell and they need to lose weight. I am giving Galia Slayen a Digit Down for trying to cash in on Barbie.

















Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment