Friday, April 22, 2011

Michigan Friday: Loses a Christian and a Morris

I was going with the headline:  Michigan loses a Christian and a Savior but I thought that was a bit too much on a holiday weekend.  :)

Let's get to the basketball news first.  Darius Morris has decided to enter the NBA Draft and not hire an agent.  That means he has until May 8th to pull his name out of the draft.  If he hires an agent before then, he will not be allowed to change his mind and come back to Ann Arbor.

I would now say the odds of Darius coming back as pretty slim.  I'm not an NBA expert but here is what I have been hearing. 

Reasons for Darius to go:  Some have used the words "terrible" to describe this NBA draft.  Many big time players from schools like Baylor, OSU and North Carolina have decided to stay in school.  Which makes this draft pretty light on big names.  If that is the case, Darius might be considered a "better" prospects this year over other years.

Reasons for Darius to stay:  He still needs to work on his game.  He is lacking a perimeter jump shot and could use another year of college basketball.  There is also a strong possibility of an NBA lock out and one  reason some players are electing to stay in school.   Many are predicting this lockout could be worse then the NFL's and continue long into the season.  

That's a difficult decision for Darius and wish him luck either way. 

Like we mentioned yesterday, Cullen Christian has elected to play his football elsewhere.   Here are some quotes from SuperPreps:   "Coach (Brady) Hoke is a great guy and I have no issues with him at all," Christian told Superprep.com. "I had meetings with my other coaches and I just didn't like the direction that they had me going in. I think it is best that I move on and finish my career elsewhere."

"I thought I did pretty well in spring ball and as far as production goes; I did very well," Christian told the website. "I hurt my back and wasn't able to perform in one scrimmage and the spring game, and that set me back a little bit."


"I came here to be a part of something big and it has all fallen apart," he told the website. "Part of you feels like you failed, while another part of you wants to go prove them they were wrong. I need to move on now and do what is best for me."


I personally had high hopes for Cullen at Michigan.  I thought with his skill set he could come in and play right away.  Freshman did play last year but Cullen didn't get a lot of time.  Avery and Talbott got much more playing time at corner over Cullen.  

Michigan is getting back Woolfolk and Floyd starters in defensive backfield this year and true freshman Greg Brown who enrolled early played pretty well in the Spring Game.    Not to mention the guys that will be here this summer which include: Delonte Hollowell, Blake Countness, Tamani Carter and Raymon Taylor.   I also believe Avery is going to be an NFL prospect after his senior year. 

If you add all those things up, it pretty much equals a transfer.  Good Luck CC, I wish you luck at your next school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment