Thursday, April 14, 2011

...Jobless Actors

This first jobless actor is the guy we loved, loathed, hated, and then kind of missed. Paul Marcarelli, though still under contract, will be phased out of his acting job. Who is Paul Marcarelli? If I said "can you hear me now?" would that ring a bell? He is the Verizon guy known for his signature phrase. He has been doing those commercials for the last 9 years, wow time flys. He is happy to be moving on with this new chapter in his life, so he says. In an interview with The Atlantic he told them how at his grandmother's funeral a family friend whispered "Can you hear me now?" as her body was being lowered into the ground. Also he told them how as a gay man kids used to drive past his home in Guilford, Connecticut, at night, yelling, "Can you hear me now?" and spewing gay slurs. He says he never filed a police report because he was afraid of the publicity. He needed the $6,000 per commercial job, and he did not want to jeopardize that at all. Now he is moving on and he has already written and co-produced "The Green," about a gay couple who are ostracized living in a small town. He added, "I still want to make something of value." Good luck to you with that I say.


Now we move on to the actors and actresses of "All My Children" and "One Life to Live". ABC announced that they will bee cancelling these daytime soap opera classics. CBS has already cancelled most of theirs so why not follow. I guess they plan on replacing them with future talk shows...oy. "All My Children" will end in September 2011 while "One Life to Live" will finish its run in January 2012. "All My Children" premiered on January 5, 1970 and has received more than 30 Emmy Awards. "One Life to Live" debuted on July 15, 1968, and received its first Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series in 2002. I am sure there will be a lot of elders and a lot of housewives and some househusbands, who are going to very upset with this news, but I do know for a fact that they are not going to reverse their decision. I think we will all miss the ageless Susan Lucci, what will she do now? I am not sure but we will see her somewhere, though I doubt she will look older. I am going to give these newly jobless actors and actresses a Digit Down. I will also say this, welcome to the other side of America!




No comments:

Post a Comment