Friday, August 20, 2010

...Hearing Loss

Apparently 1 out of 5 American teens has hearing loss, up 5 percent. As I am writing this I am blasting music in my ear so this may be true, although I am not a teen. The hearing loss was slight and equates to the sound of leaves rustling or a mother whispering, which I am sure the teen can hear but chooses not to. The cause for the hearing loss? MP3 players of course! Mostly anyway. Doctors are urging teens to turn down the volume and turn it up no more than 50% of the allotted volume. I do know that some times I wake up wondering if I am def, and then I turn on the television and I get happy. These new earbuds are smaller and fit more directly in the ear which makes the music sound louder and clearer, especially as the volume gets louder. It is suggested that you buy noise cancellation headphones to prevent you from cranking the music up too loudly. If you do not know, hearing loss cannot be repaired, once it is gone, it is just gone forever. Doctors worry that this will increase in the future and start to affect even younger children. I think instead of lowering the cost of mp3 players and lower the cost of good noise cancellation headphones. The best and cheapest pair I found were starting at $150, and I could buy any ole mp3 player for less than $100, even name brand ones. I will give this news a Digit Down. Not because of the hearing loss, but because there are billion spent every year on medical research and yet we have nothing to reverse hearing loss better than a freaking annoying hearing aide! Horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment