Friday, January 28, 2011

Michigan Friday: Thinks Out Loud

From time to time, I like to post some of my random thoughts on things related to Michigan football.  I usually don't have answers to these thoughts or questions, I just like to share them with the BHB cell mates. 

  • Hoke really can recruit.  He has done a tremendous job in two weeks.  I wonder what he will do when he has years to build relationships with these kids.  I wonder what this class would look like if he was hired on 1/2 or even in December. 

  • So Michigan got 3 years NCAA probation for not tracking stretching properly before practice and Iowa can send 12 kids to the hospital for overworking their players in off season work outs?  So RR gets thrown under the bus for maybe putting kids in danger (and it was proved he wasn't) and Coach Ferentz gets a free pass?  It seems Kirk Ferentz program really is putting kids in danger and he doesn't even come back from a recruiting trip.  Coach Ferentz has had all types of off season problems almost every year.  He continues to have a good reputation and is one of the highest paid coaches in the country.   Does this make sense to anyone? 

  • Why can't Michigan recruit defensive tackles?  They have needed DT's for the past 3 years.

  • Yes, $3M does come with access.  No you should haven't a say in which coach is hired, but you probably want to take his email or phone call about the head coach.   If I invest $3M in a pubic company, I get vote not the final say.   Al Glick gave Michigan millions for the new field house and he was watching tape with RR during the week.  I'm betting Nike founder Phil Knight has something to say about Oregon's coaches.  In fact, I know he does.  Millions = Access

  • Tate Forcier did not transfer from Michigan - he was thrown out of the program.  Big difference.

  • Was RR the last big name NCAA football coach to change jobs in college?  It seems everyone goes away from the big names these days. 

  • I know hindsight is 20/20 but as we sit today, I am so much happier with the hire of Hoke over Miles. 

  • What is the deal with West Virgina coaches that come to Michigan and do well against non-conference opponents but stink up the Big Ten season?  Edit: So the win over MSU last night helped this a little bit.  A little bit.

  • How awkward is it going to be when SDSU plays at the Big House next season?  What if WVU was on the schedule to play Michigan the year after RR was hired?

  • I sure hope some of the DB's in the 2011 class turn into a safeties and not linebackers.  That was a disturbing trend under RR.

  • Two guys I expect to see more playing time from next year are Big Will Campbell and RB Mike Cox.  

No comments:

Post a Comment